WeatherCurrents Weather Station Hosting Information
Updated January, 2016
As WeatherCurrents slowly expands its network of local weather stations in
Southern California, volunteers are needed to host
weather equipment in their homes and businesses. Would you like to help bring
quality, live local weather to your community? Then please read on.
Currently Seeking Weather Site Hosts for:
- Communities where we don't have locations yet in Southern California, including:
- San Clemente
- Jurupa Valley
- Riverside (Canyon Crest)
- Rancho Bernardo
- San Marcos
My Community isn't listed here!
There may be several reasons why WeatherCurrents isn't (yet) placing
a weather station in your community. The reason could be that your community
is currently too small to justify the equipment investment for an
installation, or simply that WeatherCurrents isn't thinking about where you are just yet.
If you would like to volunteer for a future location not yet listed here, please contact us.
Weather Site Requirements
When there a multiple people applying to host a weather station for their
community, WeatherCurrents will choose the applicant that best meets these
- A passion for weather and for your local community.
- You must own the property the weather station is going to be on.
- You must have an area on the property where the temperature and rain sensors
can be placed. The temperature sensor must not be near solid objects such as a building,
fence, or tree, and must be a few feet away from concrete or asphalt slabs. All of those are heat radiation sources that
may affect accurate readings. In addition, the area must be safe from external tampering.
- Your property should be in an area where the wind isn't blocked from any direction.
- An always-on internet connection is a must, such as a cable modem, DSL, wireless or
satellite connection. WeatherCurrents cannot and will not pay for your internet connection.
- You must have a chimney or other high spot on your home or business where the anemometer
can be mounted. If you are in a homeowners associate, placement of the anemometer must be
allowed by the association rules.
- An existing home ethernet network with a router is a huge plus. If you don't have one,
consider getting one.
- Installation of the weather station and sensors may require drilling holes,
crawling through attics, installation of poles, and may involve other
requirements (each installation is different). The sensors are all connected to
the console by wires and these wires must be run to various areas inside and
outside buildings. You should be willing to allow this.
- A willingness to help maintain the equipment (this merely entails changing
the weather console's battery with one supplied by WeatherCurrents or cleaning
out a rain gauge when asked, or resetting the capture machine when asked).
What Gets Installed?
The following items are a currently a part of every WeatherCurrents weather station
- Peet Bros Ultimeter 2100 console
- Solar-shielded temperature and humidity sensor
- Anemometer (wind direction and speed sensor)
- Tipping bucket rain gauge
- Capture computer (ties into Ultimeter console)
- Web camera (not currently part of installs, but may be in the future)
To see what this equipment looks like, look at the
Temecula About page.
Weather Site Hosting Terms and conditions
When you sign up for hosting, you'll have to sign an agreement acknowledging the
- WeatherCurrents maintains ownership of its equipment in your home or business
as well as the weather data it produces.
- It may be necessary for WeatherCurrents personnel to service equipment from
time to time. You agree to let WeatherCurrents personnel onto your property when
reasonable notice is given. WeatherCurrents personnel will never enter your
property without your permission.
- You agree to not hold WeatherCurrents liable in the event its equipment causes
damage to your property
- You will have use of the weather information presented on the weather console
within your home or business.
- You agree to provide electricity at no charge for the weather station and the capture
- You agree to provide always-on internet access for weather data posting, and agree to
tell WeatherCurrents when you switch providers.
- You agree to inform WeatherCurrents if and when you sell your property.
- WeatherCurrents will acknowledge all persons hosting weather sites on one of its
community pages for that site (typically the About page for the community).
Ready to apply? Please fill out a feedback form
and we'll get back to you. Be sure to tell us what community you are interesting
in hosting a weather station for.